Thursday, October 28, 2010

American Gothic Parodies































My students loooved this project. I talked a little bit about American Gothic, most students recognized the painting, and then asked each student to pick out a "famous couple." I encouraged cartoons, but they were not limited. I had a list to help them get started, but no one was allowed to do the same thing as someone else. The students were thinking up couples I had totally forgotten about! They then had to decide how to position their character, and what details to include. They penciled in a sketch ( NO TRACING) and the background ( as close to Grant Wood's original as possible). Then paint! I loved this project because it was fairly simple directions.

4 comments:

  1. I bet the kids had a blast with this one! Thanks for all the images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What grade kids did these? They are hilarious and so creative. Love the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out so well! I had fun looking at all the different ideas. Just curious, about what grade did this assignment???

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8th and 9th graders:-) Thank you, it has been one of my faves this year!

    ReplyDelete